Physiotherapy department at Amcare Hospital, Zirakpur helps to restore movement and function when someone is affected by injury, illness or disability. It can also help to reduce your risk of injury or illness in the future.
When is physiotherapy used?
Physiotherapy can be helpful for people of all ages with a wide range of health conditions, including problems affecting the:
- bones, joints and soft tissue – such as back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain and sports injuries,
- brain or nervous system – such as movement problems resulting from a stroke, multiple sclerosis (MS) or Parkinson’s disease,
- heart and circulation – such as rehabilitation after a heart attack,
- lungs and breathing – such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and cystic fibrosis.
Physiotherapy can improve your physical activity while helping you to prevent further injuries.
What physiotherapists do ?
Physiotherapists consider the body as a whole, rather than just focusing on the individual aspects of an injury or illness. Some of the main approaches used by physiotherapists include:
- education and advice – physiotherapists can give general advice about things that can affect your daily lives, such as posture and correct lifting or carrying techniques to help prevent injuries
- movement, tailored exercise and physical activity advice – exercises may be recommended to improve your general health and mobility, and to strengthen specific parts of your body
- manual therapy – where the physiotherapist uses their hands to help relieve pain and stiffness, and to encourage better movement of the body
There are other techniques that may sometimes be used, such as exercises carried out in water (hydrotherapy or aquatic therapy) or acupuncture.